What is RefME?
RefME is a free tool that can be used for accurately automating citations, reference lists and bibliographies simply by scanning book or journal barcodes using your phone camera.
What can it do?
- Generate references by scanning book or journal barcodes using your phone camera.
- Search by Book/Article Title, ISBN, ISSN, DOI or URL if you don’t have a barcode
- Generate a reference for a website by pasting in the URL
- Add notes to your references via the app or via the website
- Collaborate with others
- Export your lists via email, Evernote or send directly to Word and others
Download it now
How could it be used for learning, teaching and assessment?
- Make a digital note of any academic source used when compiling course material
- Have this list available at all times on your phone/tablet
- Have the same list on all platforms
- Distribute the list digitally to students or to yourself for additional course material
- Encourage students to use it for their own purposes
- Create an account for RefME or use your Facebook account to login.
- Find a book that has an academic context and a barcode
- Open up the app and scan the barcode
- Check that the generated reference is correct for the referencing style chosen
Before using any mobile application or online service please check the terms and conditions to ensure you are aware of the implications of using the service. In particular, look out for items covering data security, ownership of content and public/private sharing options.
If you would like further support to get an idea of how you could use RefME within learning and teaching, please contact the Technology Enhanced Learning team on firstname.lastname@example.org or ext 1865.