What is it?
If (Ifttt) stands for If This Then That and enables you to create simple connections between different online services which can help you to automate some everyday tasks. For instance a simple ‘recipe’ could be that whenever you publish a blog post Ifttt automatically sends a Tweet telling others about this on your Twitter feed. There are many different combinations of actions you can make, it all depends upon which services you use and the actions you would want to automate.
What can it do?
It would be difficult to list everything this app can do but as described above it can automate some every day tasks to help you to manage and share your online resources more effectively. It links to over 200 different online services and provides thousands of different combinations of actions. So for instance not only can you link your blog to automatically tweet when a new post is published, you can also set out how you want the tweet to look and include specific hashtags.
Download it now…
How could it be used for learning, teaching and assessment?
There are many possibilities about how this tool could be used for learning, teaching and assessment but here are just a few ideas:
- Automatically post a tweet when a new blog post is published.
- Receive an email when a new story appears on a popular news website.
- Enable the tweets you like to be sent to your note taking app (e.g. Evernote or OneNote).
- Send Tweets using a specific hashtag sent to a story on your Storify.
- Create a Trello card for each of the meetings you have in your Office365 calendar.
This task requires you to already have an account on Twitter:
- Download the IF mobile app
- Create an account and sign in
- Browse the recipes to get an idea of what might be possible searching for the online services you use (e.g. Twitter).
- Think of a hashtag which you use regularly.
- Set up a recipe which builds a Twitter list of users who have used a particular hashtag in their tweets.
- Save the recipe and make sure it is turned on.
- Get others to start using this hashtag in their tweets.
- Watch your Twitter list grow.
Before using any mobile application or online service please check the terms and conditions to ensure you are aware of the implications of using the service. In particular, look out for items covering data security, ownership of content and public/private sharing options.