What is iMovie?
Video is now used more in everyday life than it has ever been, due to the introduction of smartphones and tablets with videoing capability. So it’s useful to have an editing App which is simple to use, but also has a lot of the professional aspects you get with industry standard software like Adobe Premiere Pro.
iMovie is an editing app for Apple devices (often available for free if you own a recent iPad or iPhone) which just costs a few pounds to download from the AppStore. It’s worth having!
As a video editing tool, iMovie is easy to use – you don’t need years of practice or a degree in Media production, just the ability to move things around using one finger!
What can I do?
- Edit footage straight from your iPad/ iPhone.
- Film straight into iMovie from your device’s camera
- Add audio and imagery to your video
- Record audio in iMovie to add to your video
- Add titles/text to your videos
- Share it to your own YouTube/Facebook channels
iMovie is available on Apple devices only, and can be downloaded from iTunes
How could it be used for learning, teaching and assessment?
- To create quick and simple instructional videos
- Student-created video assessment
- Video feedback to students
- Virtual field trips (film and edit while on location)
- Filming and editing on the go
- It enables quick and easy upload for students to access.
Film something with you iPad/iPhone, bring it into iMovie and start looking at how you can cut, trim and move the footage around and how you can access video from your device to use in your video.
Before using any mobile application or online service please check the terms and conditions to ensure you are aware of the implications of using the service. In particular, look out for items covering data security, ownership of content and public/private sharing options.
- iPad 2 and later
- iPhone 4S and later, iPod touch (5th generation and later)
If you would like further support to get an idea of how you could use iMovie within learning and teaching, please contact the Technology Enhanced Learning team on email@example.com or ext 1865.